It seems like everyone these days is moving to California.
The beautiful weather, the entertainment industry, and the Silicon Valley tech boom draw people to The Golden State. But what does it cost to move from east coast America (from New York City) to the west? And how much does this depend on your current location and destination? This article will explore some of the ways you can estimate your moving costs for an east coast to west coast move and provide advice on how you might save money along the way.
These days, many people relocate for work. According to the Pew Research Center, approximately 40% of Americans move at least once during their lifetime—the most common reasons being family and employment opportunities. In fact, in 2015, more than 3 million people moved to California alone. The state’s population grew a whopping 2.3% in 2015, making it the second-fastest growing state in America after Washington.
California was recently named the top moving destination for those looking to leave their home states behind, with 55% of outbound moves being made by residents from other states. This could be due to California’s strong job market and booming tech industry, two industries that call California home. And it’s not surprising that many are looking to leave the notoriously expensive states of New York and Massachusetts to relocate to more affordable California. Approximately 40% of movers from MA and NY move to another state versus only 20% moving within their respective states.
But how much does it cost to relocate from the east coast to the west coast?
If you move from the coast to the coast, then expect to pay around $12-15 thousand as opposed to someone who lives on the west coast and is moving to the east coast, which might run between $5-8 thousand.
One would think that the cost of moving from east coast to west coast is a purely comparative number, based on the general differences in living expenses between each region. But even when comparing regions with similar housing costs (such as New York and San Francisco), it’s apparent there are still other factors to consider.
Tips to save when Moving from East Coast to West Coast
Moving costs can vary greatly depending on several factors. While the average cost when moving from coast to coast is around $12-15 thousand, there are many ways you can reduce those numbers. Here are some tips for saving money:
1) Be picky about your movers. While getting quotes for your move, be sure to get quotes from at least three different moving companies.
2) Consider moving during the off-season. The less busy time of year for your relocation will give you better quotes and help to save money on movers.
3) Save up some cash ahead of time. It is always a good idea to have an extra $1000-2000 just in case something goes wrong or charges more than they estimated. That will help cover the cost of paying the extra, so you don’t have to worry about going over budget.
4) Be smart about what you pack. And don’t forget the obvious things like your fridge and other appliances.
Look online or talk to your friends/family who live there to get some inside info on the area and its going rate. (this one is the biggest cost saver!)
5) Look for an apartment in advance.
6) Use a moving company (not just individual movers). A moving company will usually have more employees, which means you save on hourly costs.
7) Finally, negotiate with your current employer and offer to take less vacation time in exchange for relocation money or expenses paid!
The east coast to west coast cost of relocation can vary greatly depending on several factors. While the average cost is around $12-15 thousand, there are many ways you may be able to reduce those numbers. Moving is stressful, but staying on budget and being prepared can help make it a success! We hope these tips help save money during your move!